From:
Lee Galasso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2007 19:44:50 -0500
>Would you be concerned for the health for these children? How should
parents think if their child shows no interest for solids at age 7, 8 or 9?
Marit Olanders<

Personally, I would not be concerned.  In my La Leche League group, I have
seen several children who were very healthy and not interested in solids
until they were a year old and, occasionally, older.

I remember two newspaper stories of extremely unusual cases of allergic
reactions to solids; one was a boy who was 3 years old before he could
tolerate any solids, the other was a girl who was 13 years old.  They were
otherwise healthy and were saved by breastmilk.  The girl's mother collected
milk from donors all over the USA and stored it in freezers.  I read that
story in the clippings Lois Arnold kept in a binder.  For many years, Lois
was the head of the Human Milk Banking Association of North America.  She
would bring that binder to conferences and would amaze us with all the
stories in it.  Perhaps the child somehow knows that solids are not good for
its body at that point and avoids them.

Also, I am almost certain that Jay Gordon has stated on LACTNET that, in his
pediatric practice, he sees starting solids at a year and it is normal.

Lee Galasso, MS, LLLL, IBCLC, RLC