From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 05:06:51 EST

In a message dated 2/10/2005 9:42:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

We don't  usually need supplements, if the staff can keep their own anxiety
from  infecting the mother.

Dear Friends:
    Thank you Rachel Myr for a fabulous  statement.
    Andrea Robertson discusses this very  thing in her wonderful childbirth
education book, Empowering Women. The  fear and anxieties of the staff are a
HUGE barrier to easy birth and to  breastfeeding.
    Staff, particularly those that work in labor and  delivery, are often
very scared. They never get to process that feeling, but  carry it instead to the
next situation. This is why things are done 'just in  case'. This is one
reason mothers go home lacking confidence; the hospital staff  has no confidence
in breastfeeding (or spontaneous, undisturbed birth), so how  can they give any
to the mother?
    I watched a nurse  finish talking to a patient  about the lovely gift bag
from the formula company, with samples of powdered  formula "just in case you
need it" . Then, it was my turn to talk about  breastfeeding after she left.
I didn't say anything to the mother  about that because the LCs are hired for
12 hours a week (out of a possible  168), we are basically guests there, not
secure in our place. This mother had  just given birth, I have a limited time
to spend, and my goal is to get her  skin-to-skin with the baby before I start
any discussion.
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Maternal-Child Adjunct  Faculty Union Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
Support the WHO Code and the Mother-Friendly Childbirth  Initiative