From:
Susan Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2011 19:29:26 -0500
Phyllis said:
"If only Medela would come up with a similar moisture barrier for all of their PIS models, their customers would not be having these problems."

That would be true for contamination of the motor.  But the barrier needs to be on the other end of the tube to prevent mold in the tubing.  Of course, that all assumes the barrier is always intact.  Even on a Symphony, moisture could get in the motor if the protective membrane is torn/punctured.  It's the mother's responsibility to be sure her kit is intact to protect herself from the previous user.  That would be true for all pumps, not just the Symphony.

Pump discussions make me so sad.  Not just about the safety issues, but because moms' expectations of pumps are often so far inflated from reality.  It's more work than just feeding the baby! (I scream silently from the rooftop.)  But what would I know - I probably haven't seen the commercial.

Yes, I know - you know.  And getting off the topic of pump safety.

Susan Nelson MS IBCLC
Austin Texas