Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:27:15 EDT
Susan

Yes I have experinece of Crohns and BF as I have had this for 26 years myself
and breastfed all 3 children, youngest to three and a half years. For me bf
kept me much calmer and more relaxed so was virtually free of symptoms then.
Did wonder about expressing and feeding the cat rather than stopping bf!

I am also a pharmacist with a lot of interest in drugs in bm, having just
submitted a PhD thesis on the topic ( waiting for viva next week). Most of
the drugs which are Rx are fine - particularly steroids and mesalazine (think
that came up recently). The mum has every reason to bf to minimise possible
development of Crohns in her baby.  Whilst there is no genetic link I'm aware
of, there seems to be some predisposition. So why run the risk of formula,
known to have potential.
(OK I admit I just got back from hearing Jack speak in London!!!)

Hope this helps and feel free to e mail me if I can support you from a
personal angle.

Wendy Jones
Breastfeeding Network Supporter  UK