From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 14:30:38 -0400
"...how does she NOT know HER baby?
Jan -- wondering what is really going on in hospitals where moms can't
identify their own baby...."

Well, in addition to all the obvious disorienting stuff that goes on in a
hospital is that hospitals smell funny, and interfere with the sense of
smell that is actually one of the most primitive ways a mom has of
recognizing her baby. Wasn't there that study that showed that most mothers
recognized and responded to their own baby's smell on a T shirt within the
first 24 hrs? I always swore I could recognize my own babies by smell, if
nothing else, and can still easily sniff out which pillow belongs to which
kid.

(On a less elegant note, I can always tell by smell whether my kids or my
step-kids have used the bathroom most recently. Talk about talents there are
no known uses for!)

Cathy Bargar, RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY