From:
"Laura A. Mundt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 2004 16:46:11 -0800
I'm very interested in the thread on low attendance in breastfeeding
classes.  The hospital where I teach is having the opposite issue
(and from the other posts, it actually sounds like we're in the
minority).  We, and other hospitals in the area, are seeing a
decrease in attendance in our birthing classes, but several times
this year, we've had to increase the number of breastfeeding and
newborn care classes we offer.

Our childbirth classes are strictly that--we don't officially address
babies or breastfeeding, although I slip it in as much as I can.
Some of the childbirth class evaluations indicate that the families
feel they have read so much about pregnancy and birth that they
haven't learned anything new in the birthing classes.  I wish we
could get more of them to channel some of that information-gathering
into what happens once the baby gets here, but as other people have
said, they aren't there yet.  I'm always amazed how motived the
families are that do take the extra step and register for the
babycare and breastfeeding.  It makes them extra fun to work with.

Laura Mundt, MA, ICCE
Portland, OR