Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:22:27 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
By the way, when my colleagues were educated on tongue tie and implications for normal feeding, dentition, etc (they read the same literature we all have and attended a presentation by a well renowned pediatric surgeon) they were very curious why I or anyone would want to take a "wait and see" approach. There was no downside to treatment in their collective opinion.  Some of my clients were frustrated with my wait and see approach too.  They felt if there was something they could do to improve feeding why not do it. The invasiveness and the "violence" of the procedure bothered me and I didn't want to be responsible for it. 

But like I said in my last post it is almost a non-event. 

Before we started doing inpatient tongue tie release inpatient we had a new mother/baby on our unit. this was a very obvious type one tongue tie and the physician noted another defect on the midline as well. We arranged an ent consultation for mother/baby for one week out...but when her milk came in the day after discharge suddenly baby couldn't latch. mother engorged then involuted pretty quickly and baby had to be re-admitted, under the lights and formula fed while she tried to rebuild a milk supply with so -so results.  She was angry about being discharged from the hospital with a known risk factor for feeding difficulty that could have been remedied in a timely manner and wasn't. 

some people get a hospital wing named after them....they get a procedure set up tray named after them! Small solace.

Kristen Panzer, MS IBCLC

New York                 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2