From:
Gail Macklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 1999 09:33:13 EST
Janet,
I worked for 2 years in a 5th and 6th grade where I developed the "puberty"
program. In addition, I did a 50 minute presentation on breastfeeding. I
remember one of the teachers saying...you want the boys to come to? I
replied...well, yes, one day they will be the dads!
I began my presentation with a T/F test. Kids love to see how much they know.
I called it "Test  your breastfeeding IQ". I gave them a little time to
complete the test and then we reviewed it out loud as a class. The kids were
amazed at some of the answers and of course a few want to share some stories
along the way. I ended it with a little breastmilk experiment I read about
here on Lactnet which is very visual and very scientific that teachers and
kids both enjoy.
I did get one call from and irate parent who's child was not breastfed and
didn't understand why we would be teaching this in school. When I called back,
I spoke to her husband. By the end of our conversation he was agreeing with
me, and I never heard back from her. Incidentally, she works for a formula
company.
If you are interested in any of my materials e-mail me privately and I will
send them out.
Gail Macklin RN BSN IBCLC
The Breastfeeding Center-Buffalo Grove, IL