Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 10:40:11 EDT
Dear Lactnetters, I have received a requst for info on a mother who has
severe malnutrition and is 6 weeks pp. She has severe esophgeal strictures
and is unable to keep anything down. She lost more than 20 pds. while
pregnant and is  loosing more weight while she is nursing her baby. She will
be having surgery on Monday to releive the problem. she will ahve a feeding
tube in place and most likly be getting only clear liquids for a while. The
admitting nurse has concerns that with the mother continuing to nurse and she
wants to continue, she will be severly depleting her body nutritionally and
will be a more risk for greater problems. I instructed the nurse that the
mother can still nurse up untill surgery, then untill she can nurse her baby
at breast she must be pumped q3 hours both breast to avoid engorgement. where
I need help is in the nutritional aspect. I really don't know how the mothers
body  will react to malnutrition and if she is at risk for problems by
continuing to pump and breastfeed while regaining her strength. I did di a
search in Lactnet and found articles on anorexia and bulemia. I am sorry that
this is long, but if anyone could point me where to references and info I
would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you Germaine Lambergs IBCLC