From:
Kerry Ose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:38:39 -0500
Arly writes that one could not do a study that randomly assigns babies to formula and
breastfeeding groups because it would be unethical to encourage a pregnant woman to formula
feed.  I posted to this list a few years ago that at Baylor University, researchers were recruiting
pregnant women to be part of formula studies (and offering these women a variety of gifts and
incentives).  Since then, I believe I've seen other posts about this.  This is how researchers have
been able to make claims about the addition of seaweed extract to formula improving cognitive
development.

So, yes, there are many researchers out there who have elicited from pregnant women a
commitment to not breastfeed.

Kerry Ose, PhD (retired LLL leader)