Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 08:06:24 EDT
I watched that show. I thought the doctor spent the whole show seeing things
from only the male perspective. I was surprised as I've heard he generally
isn't like this.  I thought the breastfeeding mother said something profound
that was totally ignored on the show.  When her husband said he didn't like
her breastfeeding her comment was something along the lines of finding it a
sexual turn off that he doesn't support her breastfeeding his child.  Her
thoughts and feelings were totally ignored and she was told that her husband
was correct in feeling she should greet him everyday at the door when he
comes home from work.  They said nothing about him greeting her every time
she comes in from grocery shopping with a hug and kiss.  I think it's
important to stress that the first several months are a very intense time
which, while overwhelming at times, will only come around this one time.
Things will never be the same again, but a new normal will settle in and
she'll once again be receptive to him.  Communication and tincture of time
would help here.
As a second note on the same Oprah show, did any of you notice that the
mother of 4 young children (whose husband was her children's buddy) was
sitting down with her toddler and lifting her top to breastfeed?  Boy, they
couldn't get the camera off her fast enough once they realized what she was
doing.  So in my opinion, Oprah blew it big time -Twice!  Sheesh, Sue