From:
Pegeen Blank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 21:27:13 -0500
Dear all,
I need your ideas and wisdon.  A quick bio, I have lurked for 3 years.  I
have been a La Leche Leader 3 1/2 years, CBE in a local hospital system,
and am planning to sit for IBCLE in 2004.  I have the mothers permission to
post.
A good friend/Leader of mine gave birth on 2/19/03 to a 9lb12oz girl, third
child, no drugs, no complications - baby latched right on.  The mother
nursed her first two children for 4+ years, child-led weaning.  10 days
after giving birth, the mother was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma (Level
II A).  She will most probably begin chemo on 3/27.  As you may expect, she
(as well as us her friends) are in shock, but hopefully.
 I have seen her cry twice - both times when considering she will be unable
to nurse and bring her baby to breast.    We are trying to juryrig a nipple
sheild that would enable her to bring her baby to breast, but the baby
would not receive her milk, but rather a supplement through a SNS or
Lactaid. This is where I need your help.  Do you have any suggestions as to
how to plug the nipple openings in the nipple sheild that the baby would
not suck off, but will stop any milk from getting out?  Do you have any
other suggestions?
Obviously, most of the child's nutrition will be through bottles.  I would
like to be able to offer her a way to at least comfort/ bring the baby to
breast once in a while - not as much for breast stimulation as to provide
comfort and connection.
She is planning to continue pumping, as much as chemo will allow, until
after the chemo is over.  At that time, everything going well, she would
like to increase pumping and start domperidone to relactate and put her
baby back to breast.
Please let me know all and any suggestions.  She and I are open to anything
you have to offer.
Sincerely,
Pegeen Blank
LLLL, CBE