From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 21:26:00 -0700
There's a story out on the wire tonight about the problems of opium
addiction Afghanistan. The lead reads:

> @Body:
> <B>BC-Afghan-Opium-Children<P>
> code:6
> <B>INDEX:International, Justice, Health<P>
> <B>HL:Drug addiction among Afghan children fuelled by ignorance and<P> opium
> boom<P>
> <B>By Alisa Tang<P>
> KABUL (AP) ‹ Faridašs son inherited her drug addiction in the womb, and drank
> her opium-laced breast milk. And when he cried and fussed, she calmed him with
> specks of opium diluted in tea....

The opium-laced breastmilk - is it really enough to continue the addiction?

I'd think those babies would be going through withdrawal and it's the use of
opium in tea (or other direct-ingestion/intake methods) that fuels the
addiction.

I'm beginning to become quite frustrated at the portrayal of breastmilk as
poison.

-- Jodine