From:
Judy Le Van Fram <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:19:24 EST
In a message dated 12/01/2003 10:44:59 PM EST, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< I'm enjoying this discussion.
 Judy tells us that the correct terminology for a tool used where the aim is
 to restore the normal is called an assistive device, while a prosthetic is
 a permanent replacement for something missing.
 The way I interpret that is that when a baby is being artificially fed, the
 bottle is a permanent replacement for a lactating breast (not just the
 absence of breasts as Judy suggests).  So I would see that artificially fed
 infants are being fed with a prosthesis, while to-be-breastfed babies are
 being fed with a breastfeeding assistive device.
 How's that Judy? >>

Denise,
    I am also enjoying this discussion and it has made me keep thinking about
the language. Since a bottle doesn't really attempt to replace the breasts,
but simply one of their functions, I am thinking it would still be considered
an assistive device, in the sense that a wheelchair is ( it's not a prosthesis,
and it does assist locomotion though it does not attempt to actually be legs,
if you see what I mean.)  There are breast prostheses, they are fitted by
trained persons, and women wear them inside their bras after full mastectomies -
they serve a cosmetic function. A Lact-Aid or supplementer worn on the chest
might function as a 'prosthesis,' since it does physically replace missing
breasts and fills in the function. If the breasts are there, and not producing
enough milk, etc.,  the alternatives assist. I haven't done much thinking about
orthotics yet, and how that word might apply. An orthosis is " a support or
brace for weak or ineffective joints or muscles ". I haven't heard the word used
when talking about organs, and not muscles/joints. I think based on a quick
chat with the Mr. that I have to stick with feeding "assistive devices", and
reserve 'prosthesis' for a supplementer  worn on the chest when a woman  has no
breasts.  Sounds like I know what dinner conversation will contain tonight
though...:) Oh one other thing I have always found interesting: using assistive
devices, and prostheses is always more work than 'normal', they change the
fluidity of motion, the energy-saving mechanisms of synergy and cooperation,  and
cost the system energy. So even the best prosthesis and the most carefully
chosen assistive device can be helpful, but they come with costs. They are not
normal, though they can be chosen well and be helpful. The same seems to be true
for bottlfeeding and respiratory rates, temp. maintenance, O2, etc.
Judy LeVan Fram, PT, IBCLC, Brooklyn, USA