From:
Scott and Kate <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:50:26 -0400
What seems so strange about this site is that some of what they have to say seems reasonable so where does this scheduling thing come from all of a sudden. Her information on breast feeding and on crying seems to be very straight-forward but then all of a sudden there is this change! The colic part is rather scary too.

This is a copy of my letter to them at "Contact Us". I hope that other people will write too. http://www.babytec.com/feedback.htm

"I am very concerned about your information on structuring. A similar program called Babywise lead to the Department of Social Services in Orange County, CA getting involved for multiple children who were dehydrated and malnourished. I am concerned that you are opening yourself to possible lawsuits and to the mistreatment of children with well meaning but inaccurate information.
For information on how not responding to children's needs can result in an increased likelihood of PTSD, please see Brown
University Child and Adolescent Behavior Letter, May, 1998.
In addition, colic has never been proven to be the result of indigestion and certainly not as a result of over-feeding. TO suggest so, especially to the parents of premature infants increases the risks that they will under feed their children.
Allowing infants to "cry it out" increases their cortisol levels and affects the infant's ability to calm him or herself. These stress reactions in childhood have a negative effect on the child both in later childhood and adulthood. There have even been suggestions that children who experience a lot of stress as an infant are more prone to anti-social behavior and crime as adolescents and adults.
I appreciate that you are trying to help parents be better parents but I am concerned that your suggestions when taken literally are a one-size-fits-all approach to a very complicated subject which has numerous concerning ramifications. Some of your information is correct, some is inaccurate and some is dangerous. I hope that you will recheck your information and reconsider your advice."

Better put this on the stay-away-from-site lists!

Kate McIntosh MD FAAP