From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Dec 2002 17:51:25 -0500
I went back to look at Barbara Wilson-Clay's statement on certification.

She said "One reason why all of us ought to stand behind the IBCLC
certification is that it, alone of all the other certifications awarded,
maintains minimum competency standards and provides on-going disciplinary
and ethical oversight. The IBLCE conducts hearings based on consumer or
fellow-IBCLC complaints. If an IBCLC is found to have violated ethical or
practice guidelines, her certification can be revoked. This recourse to bad
practice protects consumers. While I support the work of peer counselors
and other lactation counselors, their practice should be supervised by a
licensed health care professional or an IBCLC. "

At present, mothers get a variety of experience levels when they ask for
breastfeeding help. Consumers do not know one from another.  Hospitals and
others like qualifications, and they like to get them as fast as possible.
Some of the other qualifying organizations' courses  meet educational
needs, and some rather quickly, but they do not guarantee the protection,
in terms of continuing ethics and competencies that IBLCE does.

One cannot learn all one needs to know quickly to be a good IBCLC, in my
opinion. This takes time, practice, and experience. It cannot be taught or
digested quickly.  It is a seasoning.

As long as we stand divided on this issue, which we are now, with many
routes to various "competencies," and as long as the credential of IBCLC is
not seen as the basic minimum with which to practice lactation
consultation, we will have a weakened and diluted "profession,"  with
reduced ability to provide a standard of good care, and we will have less
chance to be  recognized and taken seriously in the field of health care
providers. Ethics, information, practice skill, and oversight of all of the
above are crucial.  My opinion only.

Kathleen