From:
Johanna Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:19:30 -0500
Good to be back on Lactnet after pregnancy/baby break!  (Had Nehama
12/12/00 - early - 35+wks,  5lbs. 12 oz.).

get breastmilk.  However, this is reality.  I don't like formula, but is
serves a purpose, to provide nourishment to a baby.  I think in our quest
to promote breastfeeding we forget the #1 rule: feed the baby.  I have
worked with new moms in the hospital where we had no choice but to give
the baby formula (very low dstx, extremely high bili, etc., mom didn't
have enough pumped milk, baby not nursing effectively).  At least we had
a safe alternative.  No, it wasn't A+, but it wasn't water or juice
either.

On another note, mom wanting dad to feed baby pumped milk at night.  I
never understood this until this past week. [no, I didn't resort to
this].  Being an exhausted mom with a 4 y.o. and a new baby, who decided
to nurse in the middle of the night, every hour for 1/2 hr. and lightly
sleep while grunting and making other loud noises for the next 1/2 hr.
until she decided to nurse again, I gained an understanding of how nice
it would be for someone else to feed the baby and let me sleep,
undisturbed for about 5 hours.  Mind you, my dh gets up at night and
changes every diaper and holds fussy baby when nursing is not what she
wants.  Maybe we just need to appreciate how difficult it is for some
moms.

Great to be back,

Johanna Berger, LSW
Breastfeeding Counselor