Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 23:33:43 +0000
>Dear Heather-
>     I remember attending a conference in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, USA,
>quite a few years ago.  It was a BSC conference, and Michael Woolridge was
>the featured speaker.  He shared his observations in his clinic work that
>mothers who do not build up a good milk supply within the first 4-6 weeks,
>often cannot make a full milk supply after that.

I would agree, as I said - getting off to a good start makes such a
difference. But I still speculate that there may be emotional and social
reasons for that, which impinge upon the physiological.

>    I don't mean to be bleak, and there are some mothers who do increase
>their milk supply significantly after the initial month, but, unfortunately,
>I have worked with many who desperately want to fully breastfeed, but are
>never able to fully give up the supplements.  These are moms who use a
>supplementer, sleep with their baby, nurse around the clock, try fenugreek
>and reglan.

I still think there may be social  factors even here, but it's speculation,
as we don't use supplementers or fenugreek or reglan, so our 'client group'
is not really comparable.   I wonder if the US aim for weight gain, for
example, is different from the UK's...that might mean we define success
differently.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK