Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 16:09:02 EST
Elisheva asks,
<< Is that because the causes of poor gain/satisfaction WITH GOOD transfer --
 whether they are poor processing problems, like deficiencies, or high
 metabolic needs, like cardiac babies -- are easily diagnosed from other
 symptoms?  Or because it just never happens -- in which case I do indeed
 wonder why weight these kids?   Or has the discussion just not focused on
 this? >>

that's a great question!  If a mom insists that she is sure the baby is
getting enough, but the scales in the peds office are saying differently,
then I would certainly use an ac/pc weight to confirm what mom thinks (and
probably what I'm hearing).  This would be the most innocuous way of ruling
out a metabolic problem.  Cardiac problems would show up in another way.  But
before we went into extensive testing for a potential metabolic problem
(which is rare, but could happen), i'd want to do the least problematic thing
possible.  Yes, it will only tell me about one feed, but mom can tell me
whether or not this is a "usual" or unusual feed, and we can judge by her
judgement there.  So it would give me something useful tell the pediatrician.

But we hardly ever see something like that. At least I don't.  That's
probably the kind of thing Linda Kutner or Barbara Wilson Clay would see -- I
think they are our gurus of the unusual, not to mention the impossible.

Jan B