From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Feb 2009 19:59:57 -0600
I think the mother's eagerness to "get off the shield" is only partly due to the fact that it is a bother to handle.  In addition, I think we have done too good a job of getting the word out that the shield is not the ultimate answer to every nursing problem!  Just as mothers get too worked up about "getting the hind milk" after reading articles, they read that the shield may reduce baby's intake.  Yes, we need to be sure that baby is taking in enough through the shield and if intake is good, LET IT BE.  Just as a bottle feeding mom may focus more on the container than the baby, so can she focus on the shiled and not the total nursing process/experience.  I am sure baby senses mom's concern which along with the other issues the baby is working on, can make matters worse.  I like to encourage lots of non-nursing time at/near the breast so the baby doesn't feel that every time he is in the vacinity of the breast he's going to be pushed to feed directly.  He needs to learn that it can be a pleasant place to just "hang out".  Many times, the baby will eventually go for the "naked" breast when mom least expects it.  In other cases, some babies have nursed the entire time with the shield.
If baby is not taking in enough through the shield, then be sure mom is applying it so as much areolar tissue as possible in in the shield to start (by turning it nearly inside out, then applying and turning the "flap" part back over the breast, drawing more tissue in).  I alos like to suggest she brush or roll the nipple with her fingers before applying ( I also recommend this before pumping) to be sure the nerve endings in the nipple get stimulated-the baby's mouth does this beautifully, but the shield doesn't do a very good job.

Winnie Mading