Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 2015 05:54:12 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Thank you, Lisa, for your detailed observations about a long period.

I am following the critical discussion about tongue tie in the English speaking lactation community and I am a bit puzzled by it. 

In the German speaking area we definitely do NOT have an overload of tongue tie treatment, but the opposite. Anterior obvious tongue ties are often treated, posterior tongue ties are hardly ever diagnosed and there are hardly any doctors to treat it.

Working with weight gain, low milk supply, latching, sore nipple issues in my private practice I do see quite a number of posterior tongue ties. I have seen many times real improvement after revision - BUT not without thorough breastfeeding counseling.

The two go together: the treatment and the breastfeeding counseling with follow up. The treatment results in normal tongue function, the counselling helps in the learning process.

We have here different things to weigh against each other. Not treating in case of indication can result in premature weaning, failure to thrive etc. The worst I have seen was a baby ending up with permanent nasogastric tube (for months) and tube addiction because of an undiagnosed posterior tongue tie.  

Márta Guóth-Gumberger, IBCLC
Neue Heimat 5a
83024 Rosenheim
Germany
++49 8031 892185
[log in to unmask]
www.breastfeeding-support.de

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2