From:
Kathy Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 09:51:49 -0400
In regards to Ms Meeler's list (first of all, I copied it). Secondly, I
also am surprised at the attitudes of people,especially where I work,
concerning bf moms. These people are nurses who are working with bf moms.
Education of staff has become a pet project of mine. Many nurses and public
health workers have been "thrown" into the area of bf education due to the
nature of their job. Many have also have had little or no training and have
had a poor bf experience themselves. Hundreds of mothers could be
unsuccessful due to the input (or lack thereof) of these professionals. I
work at a major medical center in your area, and bfing is only now being
seen as "the best." One lactation consultant was hired, and she was swamped
before she began. Fortunately, several of the staff nurses like myself are
also IBCLE certified. During our quarterly "skills labs", I usually have a
breast pump kit and pump as one of the stations. Most of the staff will
moan and groan as they sit to assemble the kit and explain how they would
instruct a mom for her initial pumping.  A majority of the nurses need
refresher points to be successful. Is it any question why we have so many
problems in this area? Our staff education has become very proactive and it
shows in our success with moms, but we still have a long way to go. Be
aware of your staff's needs and attitudes. It will surprise you. Thanks
K.Pierce,R.N.,IBCLE