From:
Naomi Bar-Yam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 13:51:02 -0500
Date:    Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:11:50 EST
From:    "Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: toxins revisited
>Yet the headlines are on how high the toxins are in mother's milk and the
>assumption  by environmentalists is that infant formula is less toxic.  I
>really don't get it other than that there is a huge economic interest in the
>USA to keep parents uninformed on risks of infant formula and overinformed
>about risks of mother's milk.  Valerie W. McClain, IBCLC
contaminants in water doesn't really make news any more, unless it
is new and will have an immediate negative effect on those who drink it.
It's scary to think that breastmilk can be contaminated. We like to
think of it as pure.
It seems to me that a possible approach to take on this issue is
op-ed pieces and other articles from lactivists in the communities
where this is being reported bringing to people's attention the fact that
most cotaminants don't make it through breastmilk to the baby. What does
it say about our environment that contaminants are now reaching babies
through breastmilk. Not that we should stop nursing, because the babies
are getting these contaminants elswhere in the environment as well, but
that we should take this very seriously and clean up the environment from
substances that are so "aggressive" as to make their way through breast
milk
to the baby.
 there are plenty of people on lactnet who can say this much better than
I,
but you get the idea.

Naomi Bar-Yam