Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 May 2012 14:32:26 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Is this infant able to go home on an apnea monitor?  My ex-34-wkr was on one until he was over 6 months old, with continued vagal bradycardic episodes until about 55 weeks corrected age.  We went home from the NICU on continuous monitoring at 37 wks, but probably could have left earlier if they'd just given up and ordered us the monitor sooner.  Some kiddos seem to have these episodes for a *long* time afterwards, and it would be nonsense to keep them hospitalized that whole time.  My son's episodes were almost certainly due to reflux as well, and he was at one point treated with Reglan, Prevacid, and caffeine (all ineffectual, I might add).

Has the little one in question shown fewer desats/brady episodes when bottlefeeding as opposed to breastfeeding?  For some reason, my little guy actually spit up far far less after bottlefeeding compared to breastfeeding.  It made no sense to me at the time, and I continued to nurse him about every hour during the day, but in retrospect we figured out that the bottle was actually more stable/predictable/easier for him, and he could consume far greater amounts by bottle with less distress.  (Luckily he still loved breastfeeding and is still asking for it even now that he's 4.)  Just something to think about, especially if mom has a plentiful supply and the baby is struggling at all with it.

-Sarah Reece-Stremtan M.D.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2