From:
Phyllis Harris -Swenson IBCLC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 21:23:12 -0700
In regard to posting.....
Date:    Sun, 17 Sep 2000 2
Subject: 14 month old who refuses solids

A mother of a healthy, well developed 14 month old is concerned that her
daughter is  not at all interested in solids--will  only take an
occasional
bite of plain bread. Mom is exhausted from the night nursings and
reluctant
to night wean until her daughter is eating something else. No obvious
signs
of allergy in baby or family (wheezing, eczema, reactions to foods mom
eats). I suggested checking baby's iron status and B-12. What else can
cause
lack of appetite? How can baby be encouraged to eat other foods? The
family
is about to move cross country (OK, not all that far by most standards!),
start new jobs, day care, etc, and Mom is getting antsy. Thankyou!
Bracha Haskel
LLL, Childbirth educator
Golan Heights, Israel

Dear  Bracha,
     If we were drinking all our calories we wouldn't be hungry either.
I would suggest taking one night feeding away at at time to slow the
production slowly.  Then mom could start soft foods when the child gets
hungry.  You might suggest serving water in night time so teeth won't
have  sugar all night & to take care of thirst.  A nice sports bottle
next to the bed could serve the purpose nicely.  When the calories from
breast milk begin to decrease the solids calories will increase.
     I would suggest they keep on BF for as long as they both want.
Remember, children don't get full immune system till 5 -6 years.  The
longer the breastfeeding the less chance the babies will 'come down with
one of those auto immune, inflammation type diseases'  that no one knows
what causes it like...lymphoma cancers, diabetes, otitis media, MS,
Crohn's, colitis, asthma, r. arthritis. etc.

Regards,
P.Harris-Swenson, MA, IBCLC, Doula in training
Nutritionist & BF Coordinator
Still behind '69 spring cleaning & Lactnet mail!
Lowell, MA  USA