From:
Merilee Reeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:52:55 EDT
Hi,
I am currently a nursing student doing my OB clinicals.  I was talking to my
instructor who has worked in OB for 27 years about the cascade of medical
interventions and problems that follow the decision to have an epidural.  As we
discussed the IV fluids I mentioned the problems with bf (edematous nipples,
delayed lactogenesis, extra water on board for the baby etc.)  She was totally
surprised by these outcomes.  She had no idea that epidurals had any effect on
bf whatsoever.  I wondered with her where the appropriate education in these
things should take place.  The OB nurses?  The childbirth classes for the
parents?  Is it not possible to be informative about this because there have been no
(or few) real studies done on these outcomes?  Do you think that parents
might make other choices if they were more informed and not given the line that
"Epidurals are the cadillac of pain relief and are completely safe for you and
your baby"  (quoting my instructor here)
Just wondering about things,
Merilee Reeder   CLE  SN