From:
Jo-Anne Elder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:18:38 -0400
Phyllis |Harris wrote,
>    If we were drinking all our calories we wouldn't be hungry either.
>I would suggest taking one night feeding away at at time to slow the
>production slowly.  Then mom could start soft foods when the child gets

>hungry.  You might suggest serving water in night time so teeth won't
>have  sugar all night & to take care of thirst.  A nice sports bottle
>next to the bed could serve the purpose nicely.  When the calories from

>breast milk begin to decrease the solids calories will increase.

Going by Jack Newman's book and my experience with many non-eating
toddlers, I would say: 1) it is best not to get into this situation, and
perhaps we wouldn't if we were really tuned into our baby's signs of
readiness and hunger and 2) cutting BF means that the toddler will
likely be even less well-nourished afterwards. It can also create one of
those power situations. Witholding food and comfort could, IMVHO, lead
to a whole set of problems. And we don't even know if this toddler is
deficient in anything.
Lots of toddlers start eating midway through the second year. One I
know, who just turned two, said for the first time last week that she
was hungry. The mother had been told by many HCP to cut back feedings,
but fortunately, she resisted, feeling there was something going on. We
are still not sure what it is: an elimination diet helped some, playing
with when the baby BF helped too -- this is not the same thing as
cutting feedings, particularly at night. My goodness! I could imagine my
child in that scenario, going on a hunger strike...
Jo-Anne