From:
JACK A RUPP <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 16:49:11 -0500
The question of the conference and its relationship with Disney and Nestle
was addressed in the February / March, 1998 issue of LEAVEN.  Written by
Trisha Noack, pp.8, it reads as follows:

"Q: ...I'm still surprised that LLLI chose to hold the 1999 conference at
the Walt Disney World Dolphin.  Many Leaders and members are concerned about
Disney's relationship with Nestle as well as other aspects of Disney
operations.  Were these concerns given consideration before choosing this
meeting site?

A:  The decision to hold the meetings at the Walt Disney World Dolphin  was
made
very carefully with full knowledge that there are Nestle products and
sponsorships within the nearby Walt Disney World theme parks.  Nestle is one
of 50 corporate sponsors at the three Disney theme parks operating in the
Orlando area.  According to the Walt Disney Corporate Alliance office, the
Dolphin is not bound by any of the Disney Corporate sponsorship agreements.
Since the mission of La Leche League is to educate and support breastfeeding
mothers, we do not ally ourselves with other causes.  LLLI does not endorse
or participate in the Nestle boycott although the organization has, on
occasion, made this information available."

I hope this information sheds some light on your concerns.  My personal
feeling is, why let Nestle ruin the incredible educational experience that
you would undoubtedly have at the conference?  That almost seems like yet
another victory for Nestle...  IMNSHO!

Libby Rupp, LLLL
Ellicott City, MD