From:
Price Pamela B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:19:47 -0500
I have a client who had been on Domperidone and had attempted to wean from
the Domperidone literally right before the FDA fiasco.  She had a major drop
in milk.  Of course this was the very same week, almost the same day of the
FDA statement.  Our compounding pharm. had planned on continuing to carry
the drug so she was able to refill her script but since they were almost out
at the pharmacy she could only get a partial refill.  Unfortunately the
pharmacy then could no longer get it from their distributor so she was going
to be out of luck.... Then I went to the ILCA conference.  With more
information on herbs and some resources to contact she bought Lactaflow, an
herbal blend with Goats Rue from Wise Women Herbals.  I contacted the
company and asked their  opinion on which is better, the single tincture or
the blend and they suggested the blend but said that increasing the goats
rue in the Lactaflow would be alright if I really thought that Goats Rue was
what the mom needed. So mom added 10cc of goats rue (also from the Wise
Woman Herbals company)  to the one ounce bottle of Lactaflow. And yes... did
just pull that amount out of our hat...needed a place to start... She was
hanging on to the final days of the Domperidone (which by the way did not
help to increase the supply nearly as well as it had in the
beginning...which I know happens but still...)  This mom did not want to use
Reglan because she has a very involved family history of depression.
Fenugreek had done nothing for her prior to the Domperidone....(even with
Blessed Thistle and even tried the Mothers Milk Tea)  Anyway... When she
used the Lactaflow, she noticed an increase within 4 days.  She actually
felt fuller... and leaked which she had not done before (long story.. that
goes back to prenatal lack of breast growth... large blood loss at
delivery.. etc)  She is still struggling with supply but she had gotten to
the point where she thought all hope was lost due to the Domperidone/FDA
thing and the goats rue blend has given her renewed hope.

   I have a coworker that started birth control and had a big
difference...duh... in her milk supply  She also tried the Lactatflow and
told me that after 2 days she had started leaking and she had not done that
in over a month.  She was able to obtain more milk when pumping at work as
well and so she was very happy.  She only used it for one week.

Both people had used the tea and not had a difference... Both took 30 drops
4 times per day.

Obviously this is not evidence based information but experience based on my
part but I thought I would share with all of you since there was a thread on
Goats Rue.

I am very interested in any other's experiences as well... Thanks!

Pam Price IBCLC, CBE
Lactation Services Coordinator
Women's Health
Trident Health System