From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 01:03:01 EST
In a message dated 3/18/1 3:05:35 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< there is more pesticide etc residue in human milk than in cows milk or soy
milk or the infant formulas made from them. <snip> In that case, it is *true*
that there's more pesticide in our milk, since we're higher up the food chain
than cows or plants.   But the superficial conclusion -- that more pesticide
in our milk might lead to more cancer in those that consume it -- is wrong.""

I agree with this, but I researched this topic extensively several years ago
and vegetarian mothers have lower levels of pesticide residue and vegan
mothers even less as they are not as high up in the food chain. So, there are
ways to minimize the risk. The same would be true of the "stiff" arteries if
it is true, which I am prepared to believe it may well be. I do have a
tendancy to believe that since bf doesn't prapare kids for a diet of "chicken
nuggets" and french fries and soda that we should be prepared to address the
issue of weaning foods (which would apply to the first 2 1/2 - 7 years of
life) in a more rigorous way. If we can realize that even a few drops of
cow's milk formula can sensitize a newborn to an allergy, or that
non-exclusive bf reduces the protection of bf, why wouldn't we imagine that
the Western Diet undoes some of the "benefits" of bf?
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA