From:
Forrest Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 20:02:44 -0600
Hi All,
I have gotten myself into trouble with an MD at the hospital I work at.....

To set the stage here....he is a constant complainer...we had to get rid of
one of our LDRPs to create a delivery room just for him...he also gets
himself involved in ALL sorts of stuff that he really knows nothing about.
Also before I get into this you shold know I have my supervisors full support.

I am a RN....IBCLC  and certified CB educator.  I teach CB classs, BF
classes, do lactation consultant work and I do most of the exams on the
babys that come back for a check up 2 days after D/C. I also staff the LDRP
1 day a week and train new employees.  I am not extremist in any way.  I
also have a very small breast pump rental/sales business that is run for
the sole purpose of having the service avaliable...I make NO money at it
what so ever.(some of you can probably see the direction this is going!!)
I also field calls at my home 7 days a weeks at no charge to BF moms and I
am not reimbursed in any way for this....I do this to help moms.

Wellll......first this MD was questioning interventions on moms with early
problems...such as no latch and beginning a pump (from the hospital floor
pumps....not my pumps... at no charge to mom) to induce lactation...most
had a baby that was nursing by discharge and had no need for any further
intervention.    He does not "belive in" inverted or flat nipples....true
some kids will nurse on anything but many won't.

He recently made the comment that "the hispanic women do it right"...in our
community we have a large Mexican population and their norm is to not BF
until milk is in and most kids will still latch on even though they have
recieved many bottles....of course what this MD does not see is the very
early weaning & supply problem later D/T not enough early stimulation.

He stated that if a baby won't easily nurse then he should not be nursed
and mom should be encourage to formula feed instead of "over-intervening"
with the BF. I have to say that this "over-intervention" has gotten most
babys to breast and for those that did not get there, the mom was gratefull
for the support from me until SHE was ready to move on to formula....with
instuctions from me on weaning and bottle feeding in a nurturing way...I
never push in any direction ...I give options and support.

The very last comment by him was that he believes it is a conflict of
interest for a LC to be selling/renting pumps.....personally I have always
been more comfortable discussing my lactation needs with the 16yo employee
in the baby section of Kmart...   ;)
***Also I make my moms very aware of the other sources for these
supplies.....such as a local pharmacy.  The hospital i work at is not
interested in selling or renting pumps, so that is not an option.

None of this was said directly to me....he walks around and mumbles stuff
to everyone else...my supervisor says to not worry...however i am upset...I
am fearful that he will take this to the OB commitee in the hospital and
make a big stink.  I am also upset that he has really insulted my integrity
as in insinuating I push stuff on women
(not true....I have several calls a month form moms who "think" they need
pumps and after we discuss the situation and determine the need (ie stay at
home mom always near baby...) I would instruct on manual expression.

My plan......confront this man   :(         .....I'm not looking forward to
it but letting him know what I do & how it helps ect.  Also I will print up
a directory of all local pump stations and I will not discuss my pumps at
the hospital. My co-workers will help me here...also i have been around for
3 years and moms know what I have avaliable by word of mouth...they ask for
me by name.

Any other ideas??????

                 thanks....lori p