From:
J C Crotteau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 17:33:12 GMT
Dear Pam,

While not actually suggesting the bottle feeding moms, breastfeed,  I do
suggest pumping for comfort, and then I add, of course you can feed what
you get to your baby.  I tell them it may take a month to comfortably
pump down.  Since now the only advice we give woman for engorgement is to
not stimulate, apply ice or cabbage, and take pain medication.
  I think the pumping down approach is better because it provides
comfort, and avoids damage caused by severe engorgement.  I think many
woman don't breastfeed because they are generally uncomfortable with
their bodies and this advise forces they to get in touch with their
breasts and how they function and maybe become more comfortable and
decide to breastfeed.

Jane