From:
Sara Bernard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2002 14:52:23 +0100
Beste Lacnetters,

I have a question about restless leg syndrome (RLS). I'll admit that this is
coming from the fact that I have it at the moment due to pregnancy, but it
has got me thinking about RLS and breastfeeding. About a year ago, I talked
to a mother with a newborn who had this syndrome who told me that she was
only going to be able to bf for a few months as she would have to go back
onto medication to control her symptoms. She was going to start taking a
dopamine agonist to control symptoms. At the time I was very naive in regard
to medications and breastfeeding, but was able to give her enough info about
expressing milk so that she could build up a supply in her freezer. Do
dopamine agonists (not including the obvious ergotamine dopamine agonists or
levodopa which do decrease milk production) affect milk production? I'm
thinking along the lines that domperidone is dopamine antagonist and can
increase milk production / effect on prolactin levels.

At the time I didn't have the first clue about RLS, but I have recently been
reading up on the subject and have not come across any info relating to bf
and RLS. It appears that RLS during pregnancy is not uncommon, as is the
incidence outside pregnancy. It also seems to affect women more than men.
Thus, as it is not an uncommon syndrome, and that it is quite possible that
I or other counsellor may come into contact with bf mothers with RLS, I was
wondering if any of you lacnetters have experience in helping mothers with
RLS?
What I have found in the literature is that Metoclopramide and domperidone
are dopamine antagonists and can thus cause a worsening of sypmtoms. But
does breastfeeding per se effect dopamine levels and thus RLS? I guess that
in women with  normal dopamine functions then breastfeeding does not bring
on RLS. But what happens to women with RLS who breastfeed? Do they
experience a worsening of symptoms druing lactation - i.e. does prolactin
play a role??

I've checked the lacnet archives but didn't find any direct references to
RLS. Just wondering what your exepriences are?

In the meantime, the following website (non-commercial) is very good for
those interested in RLS:

http://www.rls.org   (check under "Medical Bulletin" for specific
information regarding treatment, diagnosis, incidence etc).

Now about to drag my kids out for another bicycle ride - part of my
treatment plan!

Sara Bernard
The Netherlands