From:
Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 19:37:49 +1000
Indeedy, just like Medela saying they support the Code on webpage where they
are advertising bottle. It's amazing what's possible.
Here's a couple of quotes:

"The World Health Organization recognises that for the non-braestfed infant,
infant formula is appropriate when it is available, affordable and can be
safely used" Infant formulas are a safe and nutritious breastmilk substitute
when properly prepared and used" - from an ad that the Pharmaceutical and
Healthcare Assoc of the Philippines put in a local newspaper.

"Mothers who cannot or choose not to breastfeed should know that the U.S.
Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the AAP, the United States’ special
supplemental food program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC), the
American Dietetic Association (ADA) and other leading health professional
organizations recognize that infant formula is the safest, most nutritious,
and only recommended feeding alternative for babies who are not breastfed.
Each of these entities thoroughly reviewed the science behind infant formula
in reaching this conclusion." from the Infant formula Council press release.

Medela's line above their bottle ad "Medela is committed to supporting the
WHO Code’s call for commitment to breastfeeding and breastmilk as the
optimal nutrition for the growth, development and health of babies." ...that
would be the WHO Code that absolutely prohibits any marketing of bottles to
the public? or is there a different WHO Code that they are supporting?

Same, Same. Amazing what they can do.

Karleen Gribble
Australia