Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 00:43:53 -0400
 IMO, a recurrent abscess needs to be approached from several perspectives.

First, the fact that it is unilateral does not mean it is not latch related. That particular breast may just be more vulnerable to inefficient feeding or the baby may position differently on each side. I would also look into mom's nutrition--really look at it--I never take a mother's word for it that she eats a "healthy" diet, b/c most women have no idea what that means. I do not consider American women on avg to be healthy at all, so I am not surprised by the types of problems I am seeing, although I do find it very disturbing, especially as I believe environmental factors are an enormous component.

The very best treatment I know in the world, for an abscess is a potato poultice--it is really terrible that women are being cut open to drain abscesses when it is utterly unnecessary. If one begins again, mom can grate potato and wrap it in gauze and hold it over the wound for 20 minutes or so--it will usually drain pretty quickly. She can repeat as needed to get a complete drain.

I would, of course, suggest mom see a holistic practitioner, but who that is may vary from one area to the next. I would certainly give homeopathic belladonna a try (remember, herbs are NOT homeopathy!!). Lymphatic drainage or acupuncture could release the blockage that it causing the recurrence. There are many options that do not involve weaning from the breast, just not in the allopathic venue.

Jaye,
I think I used to find that many more peds were freaking out over weight gain that was not a problem at all, while today I see many ignoring problems that I think are very serious.? When babies seem to grow poorly, the tendency among LCs is to "look to the genes", but honestly, how do we know when parents have optimized their own genetic potential? It may be useful information, but it is not conclusive. I find that I see a lot of babies about whom I am concerned, while everyone else is looking to the gene pool.

I agree that it is important that this baby be seen--does no one know what his feeding is like? Possible oversupply/passive feeder early on, now having to work and can't or the milk supply has down-regulated. I agree--possible tt. Again, look to mom's diet, b/c food allergies often (very, very often) cause growth problems. As to the fenugreek--12-16 caps is minimum, IMO, but it sure as hell matters where she gets them!! Adulterated herbs help no one. When I have moms tell me they buy herbs or supplements at the grocery store, warehouse store, pharmacy or dept store, I ask them to stop using them or replace them , unless they managed to purchase a quality brand quite by accident .I also do not rely solely on fenugreek unless mom is just tweaking her supply.

BTW, how odd a ped would say that "bf babies grow differently". Differently from what? From the obese, AF babies they are used to seeing. So, does that mean his perception is that bf babies are typically scrawny and grow poorly? I'd bang my head along with you, but I cannot risk anymore brain cells!!

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA
Intuitive Parenting Network LLC