From:
Winifred Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2006 10:44:58 -0500
It seems to me tht some recent posts about test weights being useless have
missed one major point.  This was apparant in responses to the story about
the baby with thrush who was exhibiting "silent swallowing".  The success
with the test weighing wasn't, as I see it, the information it gave the LC.
Yes, as at least a couple of the responders indicated, the LC could/should
have gotten the same information without relying n the scale.  The benefit
was in what it did for the mom.  In today's society a great deal is made of
having QUANTIFIABLE results.  Even in writing objectives for professiona
talks, we are asked to write them in quantifiable terms.  It isn't enough
to say, "Participants will increase their knowlege about.....".  Instead,
we must say. "Participants will be able to identify 3 positive results
of.....".  Parents are also looking for quantifiable answers.  No matter
how much expertise one may have, and especially if the parents haven't
developed a full trust/relliance  in the professional (sometimes misplaced
as in, "the MD is God and whatever he or she says if the Gospel truth"),
then they look to some sort of numbers to verify what is being said.  The
mom in the case cited was concerned that baby wasn't getting enough, based
on the criteria she had learned (audible swallowing).  Even though the LC
may be totally convinced based on all the assessments done that baby is
getting enough milk, the parents may need that quantifiable number to
finally believe.  Hopefully, when the test weighing verifies that the LC
assessment was correct, they won't need the numbers in the future.  How
many times have we heard (or experienced) stories about consults where
parents seem to have accepted/agreed with the assessment and plan developed
with the LC, but after going home, continue to supplement (or whatever)
because they still aren't totally convinced there is no need.  Sometimes
the scale isn't a tool for the LC, but a reinforcer for the parents and a
means of increasing their confidence in what the LC says or suggests.

Winnie