From:
"M.Ersilia Armeni" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:04:19 -0400
On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 19:33:44 -0700, Jaye Simpson, IBCLC
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi All,
>

>I am looking for a handout or article on-line I can copy to place in my
>booth (the expo I am doing May 5/.6).  I specifically want the information
>about the optimal development of the neural pathways that breastfeeding
and
>breastmilk provide.  I don't need a huge amount of 'wording' but some
>concise quote with some backing stats about it would be great.  Anyone have
>anything like that?
>

>Thanks in advance.

Hi. Maybe this could help you a bit:PEDIATRICS Vol. 106 No. 2 August 2000,
pp. 318-322
Brainstem Maturation in Premature Infants as a Function of Enteral Feeding
Type
Sanjiv B. Amin*, Kathleen S. Merle, Mark S. Orlando, Larry E. Dalzell, and
Ronnie Guillet*
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Neonatology, Children's Hospital at
Strong, University of Rochester, NY 14642, USA.

OBJECTIVE: To determine whether brainstem maturation as measured by
brainstem auditory-evoked responses (BAERs) in preterm infants is a function
of dietary intake. STUDY DESIGN: We obtained serial BAERs on infants 28 to
32 weeks' gestation at birth, cared for in the neonatal intensive care unit of a
regional referral center in Upstate New York. Waveforms were analyzed for
replicability and for the presence of waves III and V. Absolute and interwave
latencies were measured. Baseline and follow-up BAER measurements were
compared, and the rates of change were calculated. Patient charts were
reviewed for type of enteral feeding during the interval between BAERs.
Student's t test was used to analyze continuous variables and chi(2) analysis
was used to analyze categorical variables. RESULTS: Data from 37 study
infants (17 fed breast milk and 20 fed commercial premature formula) revealed
that there was no difference in absolute latencies of waves III and V at
baseline; however, the rates of decrease of absolute latencies over the study
interval were significantly greater in infants receiving human milk.
CONCLUSIONS: Infants fed breast milk have faster brainstem maturation,
compared with infants fed formula, based on the rate of maturation of BAERs.
This effect may be attributable to the constituent composition of breast milk,
compared with synthetic formulas.

Silia Armeni
pediatrician, IBCLC, Rome (Italy)