From:
Deborah Colbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 21:43:20 -0800
I have been following this informative discussion
regarding ENT physicians who eliminate/limit the use
of  breastfeeding or straws or anything that may cause
negative pressure to the oral area after tonsillectomy
surgery.  I had an ENT at our hospital who also
prescribed to this particular thought process BUT then
proceeded to permit the child to resume the use of
thumb sucking or pacifiers SO I use those "physician
approved items of sucking" for my theory to him that
sucking and negative/positive pressure of the oral
cavity is one in the same.  He could not find any
evidence base to support his statements; only what he
had been taught in Residency training.  So here at our
hospital, unless there was significant bleeding or
concerns immediately following the surgery, all
infants and children can now resume oral gratification
in whatever "suck motion" is being utilized.  (Oh, I
failed to mention that oral thermometers were being
placed for temperature taking which always concerned
me because of the possibility of the temp probe
dislodging a site clot.)

Respectfully,
Deborah K. Colbert, RNC., IBCLC
Sault Ste. Marie, MI.