From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2010 07:45:12 -0400
Dear all:
I'm afraid I'm finding it a bit distressing to hear so many judgments about learning style

First, when working with babies I have held groups with up to 25 women and even more babies.  The framework in that situation is quite different because I am RESPONDING to the babies and their mothers.  Often this involves right brain activity -- with some left brain assistance.  Because I am RESPONDING to those babies it is not distracting because there will be resolution.

Second, when taking a test, the framework of responding to written questions is one in which you are not interacting with that specific mother and baby.  Therefore, you are not in a position of using your right brain for that specific mother and baby.  You are answering a written question on the test.   One might quibble with this test mode that doesn't put us in a position to use our right brain in a real live situation, but this test is currently the test we must take in order to be certified.  If you don't like this style of test, then I would suggest writing to the IBLCE.

To presume that because someone has difficulty concentrating with noise during a WRITTEN test might not be an excellent lactation consultant really is an extrapolation way beyond any evidence whatsoever.  To presume that someone who doesn't like noise during a WRITTEN test has a problem with babies is also an extrapolation way beyond any evidence whatsoever.  The insinuations that you would be a bad lactation consultant based on your ability to block out noise on a written test or based on your own personal ability to do so, is not appropriate.

Many people learn in different ways.  These ways of learning can be every bit as valid.  Recently on the PPLC listserve people were talking about how they were self-taught and making comparison with people.  Some people really do learn quite well within the formal framework of prepared courses - and should not be judged to be deficient for needing this structure.  In my mind, it doesn't matter HOW you learn.  It matters what you learn and how you apply it.

As for me, I can tune out lots of noise when I am actively engaged with one or many women and their babies.  I, however, would not be able to concentrate on a written test with noise and I really hate cell phones, crinkling papers, and babies whose mothers are trying to suppress their babies into silence when that baby really needs dedicated INTERACTION during conferences.  I have to suppress the urge to go to that baby and respond.  Nothing is worse for me to listen to in a conference than a mother shushing an actively engaged baby or a baby that really needs something.

I once and only once brought my son on a consultation when the parents BEGGED me to bring him.  I kept insisting it was not a good idea.  And it wasn't.  He did not get the attention he needed after a long day at nursery school.  I was tense because I felt as if I needed to restrain him from jumping all over the room and certainly it did not help the parents. It was the one and only time when I did tell the parents that "I told you this was NOT a good idea and I will NEVER do it again."

I'm all in favor of separate accommodations.  In any other health care profession, the cost of education and certification is far higher than it is for becoming an IBCLC.  I think part of the complaints in the US are based on the fact that we have so little public funding for education.  I personally would not mind having the extra cost for accommodations for breastfeeding mothers folded into the cost of the exam.

Sincerely,

Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC