From:
Margaret Radcliffe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 09:35:06 -0400
Carol Coughlin wrote about the dietary guidelines in the Yeast Connection,
but so far no one has mentioned objects in the home that may be contaminated
with yeast and cause reoccurrances.  Lawrence indicates that undergarments
should be boiled after wear (I confess that I just bought new ones, but wash
them all in hot water now) and that toys that go in the baby's mouth should
be boiled to sterilize, and should be discarded and replaced after one week
of treatment.

Do you feel that this is unnecessary, since yeast is always present, and the
change in diet creates an environment in which it doesn't multiply?  Or are
these precautions still recommended?

Also, I take a prescription asthma medication that increases the risk of
thrush in my mouth.  I have been advised to brush my teeth after each dose
to decrease this risk.  Extrapolating from this, I have become very careful
about frequently brushing my 2 year old's teeth in hopes that good oral
hygiene might decrease the chance of thrush reoccuring.  Does anyone think
this is a realistic hope?

At what point do you recommend treating the husband as well as the mother
and child?

Margaret K.K. Radcliffe               [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Mining & Minerals Engr.
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA