From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Dec 2011 11:42:45 +0100
Jan responds to my post about the Lansinoh-marketed gadget purported
(by Lansinoh reps) to be helpful, even essential, to get a baby
attached at breast during postpartum engorgement:
"Now, I wonder if the reason they don't have any evidence on the
efficacy of  its use is because they simply are packaging and
marketing something that
was  made and sold by their parent company???"

I rather suspect the reason they don't give any evidence to support
the use of this gadget for everting nipples in the early postpartum
phase is that there is none.  But of course they are marketing
something made and sold by the parent company, a company notorious for
its unethical marketing practices.  Same s***, new wrapping.  These
devices, though not under the Lansinoh brand name, are readily
available in Thailand, where they are still sold as breast pumps,
according to my colleague who was working there until this June.

I also think if it were to be systematically investigated, the tissue
damage resulting from the use of suction on the edematous skin of a
nipple and areola in the early postpartum days, coupled with the
complete lack of success in getting a baby to feed effectively, would
make it blatantly obvious to anyone who knows ANYTHING about
breastfeeding that this product should never, ever, ever have been on
the market at all.  When a company includes something so dubious in
their line of 'breastfeeding products' it makes me wonder whether
anything they tell me is worth listening to, and it makes me wonder
about the judgment of whoever permits their presence at professional
conferences.  I've seen them at numerous midwifery and breastfeeding
conferences here in Europe.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway