From:
Joy Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 12:43:49 +0800
Alice, I have had experience with toenail fungal infection and I
think I know the preparation this mother might be talking about.
Surely it is a topical if a podiatrist is prescribing it? Are
podiatrists in USA allowed to prescribe systemic drugs?

I can't remember the name of the topical preparation (and the box has
been tossed) but it is not Lamisil. I also tried gentian violet for
quite a while and this does not work - might make a dent for a while
but doesn't solve the problem.

The preparation that does work is in the form of a nail polish. You
have to use abrasive paper to roughen the surface of the nail, then
clean it with rubbing alcohol, then apply the special polish
containing the medication. It takes months of treatment - until the
nail grows out.

If this is indeed what the podiatrist has in mind, I fail to see how
this could be contraindicated for breastfeeding. It is not systemic.
How could it get into milk?? If the package instructions say it is
contraindicated, it is possibly a CYA statement only, but I could be
wrong.