From:
Roni Chastain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 07:05:07 EST
Good Morning,

Just to clarify something. I work in several homeless shelters as a visiting
nurse in Queens, New York (a boro of New York City). Most, if not all, of them
have a small kitchen for the families. A small refrigerator and a small stove
top. Many years ago they were staying in *hotels* without a refrigerator, but
it has been years since they converted those places. These women, many just
girls, don't have a clue about parenting, they have not been parented properly
and they just don't have the skills. We all learn from experience, and some
have grown up in the welfare system, and some have even grown up in the
homeless shelters. They certainly could use all the help, whether it be
formula, or instructions.
It has given me a whole new prospective on life, how much I have to be
grateful for, two healthy children and a home!

Roni Chastain, RN, LCCE, FACCE
Long Island, New York

<<  Also, homeless women and children in the US face the
 same conditions many women and children in Third World countries face.
 It is not safe to provide ABM for these children. >>