From:
Sam Doak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 23:44:27 -0500
during babyhood, I have always been amused by the fact that, for the most
part (with the normal average child), no one really worries about whether a
child will be motivated and succeed at learning to walk even while agonizing
and worrying about a host of other skills and abilities at the very same
time (eating, sleeping, toileting, weaning, separation--all of which people
seem to worry might never happen).  >>

Ahh, but what about The Baby Races? The little one-up-momship of "My baby
started walking at 10 months." "My baby started walking at 9!" "Uh, oh, my
baby is 12 months old, and doesn't walk yet. What is wrong with him? What is
wrong with me? What are we doing wrong? Is he developmentally delayed?"

While we may not do anything drastic, such as "walking lessons," you can be
sure that it eats up time and energy for the parents, thinking something is
wrong with their child. (all based on societal pressures...) It takes a
strong mother to laugh at someone who tries to compare children, or at least
an experienced mother...

And, on the other subject, my doc is keen on freebies. My husband has higher
cholesterol (not really HIGH, but on the edge, most likely a genetic
something.) The doc had been visited by some rep, and had "free samples."
When B got home with the "free samples," and a new prescription, I asked
what had Doc told him about using them... He said, "Well, he knows how you
cook, he knows we don't eat fatty foods, but he thought I could try this."
What possible good could he get from a drug which blocked cholesterol
absorption from our foods, when I am a die-hard "eat foods in the most
natural state possible" throw back to The Old La Leche League?? But, it was
FREE! and who knows what the Doc got in return for the prescription? The doc
knew it was a ridiculous attempt, knowing our family well, but B used the
drug for *1 year* (with no benefits) before he realized how much money he'd
thrown away.

The nofreelunch website is certainly an eye-opener!

Best wishes,
Sam Doak
mid-Ohio Valley