Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:43:49 +0000

>So, Jennifer, rather than talk to her any more about breastfeeding, I'd
>warmly encourage her to spend time skin-to-skin with her baby, especially if
>they missed out on it right after the birth.  I wouldn't even mention
>breastfeeding, just express sympathy at how wiped out she is feeling, and
>offer the suggestion to do skin-to-skin as a way of enjoying her baby, and
>letting the baby show her how much baby enjoys her.  You could also mention
>that it reduces stress hormone secretion in both mother and baby, and feels
>great.

Rachel, this is terrific....and is exactly what our UK queen of skin
to skin Suzanne Coulson does, and trains others to do the same,
terming it Biological Nurturing (a term I am not crazy about, to be
honest - we have biological washing powders in the UK, and that's
what it makes me think of!! But maybe that's just me). The word
'breastfeeding' is not at the forefront at all...it's just holding
your baby in a way that makes you both feel so g....o....o.....d : )))

>  It may be a good idea to mention the fact that baby may try to seek
>the breast, and that if she doesn't want this, she should have a bottle
>available in case baby is hungry.  (I can't believe I just wrote that!)

!!!

I think that would be essential to say to the mother, who may be
feeling very sensitive to ideas that someone is trying to 'sneak'
breastfeeding in through the backdoor.....

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK