Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 17:25:38 EDT
Annelies, Americans in general just don't care very much about the UN, and --
as often as we may state the contrary -- they basically deeply believe that
the WHO is there to worry about the health of the third world.

When Nestle says over and over that they adhere to the Code in the third
world, where it matters [NB I am not commenting on the truth of this, but
they do say it all the time], most Americans think that's a reasonable
position.

In the eyes of the average American, arguing from the Code unfortunately
makes an advocate look disconnected from reality, and therefore on a brute
political level it is probably harmful, rather than helpful, to the cause of
supporting bf on the ground here.

My own view, anyway.   Not saying it is good that it is this way, but I think
that it *is* this way.

Elisheva Urbas, NYC