From:
Wendy Blumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2006 22:18:03 +0200
I have permission to post this.
My client has a month-old baby, her second.  She did not manage too well breastfeeding first one but like us all, learned valuable lessons and was enjoying breastfeeding this baby.
Two weeks ago, the baby was sick with a high fever and was hospitalized, given large doses of antibiotic and even suffered a lumbar puncture for suspected meningitis.
Now the baby dozes off after five or ten minutes on the breast, wakes up after an hour or two, sucks for another five or ten minutes and falls asleep.  This goes on night and day and the mother is exhausted.
I checked the latching-on and how the mother was sitting.  With a few adjustments in positioning, she felt more relaxed and comfortable and at that feed, the baby sucked well for at least 20 minutes. That was on Thursday and I thought all was well over the weekend but today she visited me again because the baby is still falling asleep after short feeds. Again I checked her positioning and the baby`s latch-on and could not find any reason for this.
Up to now the baby has gained well, has sufficient wet nappies and the stools are normal.

My theory is that the baby is still recovering from the medication and the trauma of the LP. I suggested that the mother weigh him tomorrow because she is worried that he is not getting enough in spite of the state of the nappies.  And also that she gets him checked over again by her paediatrician just to make sure there is no underlying cause.
The baby is not lethargic - he seems alert and curious and makes eye contact - but feeding just sends him to sleep.  I did suggest that if she worries that he is not getting enough she could top him up with expressed breast milk - she doesn`t have much time and energy for pumping but agreed to try.

Any suggestions please?
Wendy Blumfield
NCT Antenatal Teacher/Breastfeeding Counsellor
Israel Childbirth Education Centre