From:
Centro Lacted <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 2006 09:24:28 -0700
Though I have commented before in favor of the use of the scale, I have tried not to comment in the other treds, since I do not think we can judge who is a good LC vs. who is not according to the  techniques and use of bf aids in their practice.

  But  I have to react to this commentary of the test weighing to be worthless and that it damages the mothers confidence.  There is a saying in Spanish "Ojos que no ven, corazon que no siente" (If the eyes cant see, the heart cant feel).  What a nonsense.  If I was a bf mother and my baby is not receiving enough milk, of course I want to know!!!  I have seen too much of my share of babies who have been peeing and poooping and also failing to thrive.  Good job whoever named the stealth feeder!!!  At last I have a name!!!

I have been a LLL for about 15 years in which I never used any technology...then, after becoming an IBCLC  for the last 9 years I started using the digital scale.  In my comparison, before using the scale I used to think that mothers who called complaining about their milk supply only needed more reassurance.  After I started using the scale I noticed that 99% of these women were right that their babies were not receiving enough milk.

  Mothers who's lactation is going well hardly ever reach us LC's.  Is those that have problems who do.  It is not like every LC with a scale goes test weighting every bf baby she sees in sight!!!  Just those who need our help.  In my practice, about 90% of mothers whose babies have had poor intake in the beginning will end up with successful breastfeedings...and to me, one of the most helful bf aids these days is the scale.

  In resume, in the US we tend to use more bf aids and more technology just because we have them more accessible to us (and to our clients).  Plus, mothers these days have access to a lot of information, and do ask much more of us than before...including test weighting in our practice.

  I think this tred is going out of hand.  The purpose of discussing the use of the scale is to let others know it is an useful tool worth thinking about, not to make you feel insulted because you dont use one.   If you like to use technology in your practice...good for you. I you prefer to use your God given talent only...good for you too!!!

  Carmen Cabrer, IBCLC, LLLL
  www.lacted.com
  San Juan, Puerto Rico