From:
Beth Hilleke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Dec 1997 12:53:07 -0500
In the past year or two I've seen many, many mothers with young babies who say
their nipples are horribly sore.  Probably 2/3 of these mothers are using a
pillow -- any pillow - to hold the baby while they nurse.  I suggest that
_the mother_ hold the baby in her arm(s), and let the pillow support the
mother's arm if she feels she needs it. Almost invariably they report
immediate relief.

Somewhere they picked up the idea that using a pillow can make nursing easier,
and changed it into holding the baby on a pillow (it reminds me of a turkey on
a platter for some reason).

Sounds like we need a "Hold the baby, use the pillows to support you" campaign
- at least for most mothers.

Beth Hilleke              [log in to unmask]