From:
T Pitman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:18:02 -0400
Barbara Berges said:
>The psychologist made the point that the most valuable thing you can
give
>your children is to grow-up in a family where the mother and father
truly
>love and care for each other.  Can't argue with that!

And Jo -Anne Elder wrote:

Sorry, I think I would argue with it... Not that loving parents are
important, only that they are the *most* important thing. I know lots of
loving single mothers and I myself divorced partly to be a happy loving
mother (and to parent as I needed to).
To me, the most important thing is that a child grow up in a home where
s/he is truly loved, unconditionally

I know that many people will disagree with this, but I am on Jo-Anne's side.
In fact, I have seen families where the parents were so wrapped up in each
other that nobody had any real time, love or attention for the children. The
mother was completely focused on her husband, and he was completely focused
on her, and the children more or less had to fend for themselves. This was
not a good situation for the kids.

Teresa Pitman
Guelph, Ontario